JOB DESCRIPTION – DEPUTY MATRON – FULL TIME
Position: Deputy Matron
Reporting to: Matron
Responsible to: General Manager
Hours: 144 over a 4 week period, as per rota (including alternate weekends)
Holiday Entitlement: 5.6 weeks per annum pro rata (including bank holidays)
Salary: £21.12 per hour
Rewards and Benefits –
- Free home-made meals
- Good pension contributions.
- Free parking.
- Free uniform.
- DBS Check.
- Family andfriend’s referral scheme.
- Continuous training, supervision and mentoring.
1. To promote a caring environment for residents through high standards of professional practice
which are conducive to the physical, emotional, social, intellectual, and spiritual needs of the residents.
2. To provide and maintain professional standards of nursing care ensuring each resident receives
care appropriate to his or her individual needs.
3. To ensure each resident’s relatives or their representatives are involved in all aspects of the resident’s
care and changing health needs.
4. To assist Matron and General Manager in implementing the standards & regulations as set out by the
Care Quality Commission and all other legislative bodies involved in nursing care of the elderly.
5. To undertake all duties and responsibilities in a way which reflects the overall philosophy of The Dower House
which is to put our residents needs first in a professional and friendly atmosphere.
6. To effectively assist Matron in the supervision, development, and support of all staff within the Nursing Department.
1. In the absence of the General Manager and Matron, be responsible and take charge of the smooth running of The Dower
2. To carry out The Dower House policies and procedures in order to achieve efficient, resident focused management.
3. To assist in maintaining excellent communications within the department and provide effective liaison between all
other departments in order to achieve a unified approach to residents care.
4. To act in accordance with the Nursing & Midwifery Council Scope of Professional Practice and ensure registration
is maintained at all times.
5. Monitor and support staff during duties to ensure that they maintain professional standards and high quality of
care at all times.
6. Conduct staff supervisions and appraisals and act on training needs identified.
7. Oversee the management & ordering prescribed & non prescribed (e.g. Homely medicines, Springvale
Pharmacy & Tesco based medical supplies, oxygen etc) in line with company policy and procedures which adheres to NMC Guidelines for the Administration of
Medicines and Department of Health guidelines. Assist in ensuring any changes in legislation are encompassed into Dower House policy.
8. Assist Matron with nursing staff rotas as required by ensuring sickness and annual leave cover is arranged in a timely manner. This is in order to maintain the level of nursing staff required to provide high standards of nursing care.
9. Assist in preparing pre-admission assessments for both short and long stay residents coming into The Dower House.
10. Conduct show rounds of the premises for potential residents and their families and prepare a report of potential needs of interested parties.
1. Ensure staff deliver person-centered care this includes helping with washing, bathing, dressing Residents. Meeting all needs of individual residents
including individual religious, cultural and spiritual needs. Making beds, keeping rooms tidy.
2. Assist in the administering of medication at specified times in accordance with The Dower House policies and individual Resident’s Care Plans.
3. Ensure the correct storage and use of medications at all times.
4. Responsible for overseeing residents’ care plans are produced which are individually tailored to the specific needs of each resident.
Oversee the maintenance, auditing and reviewing of these alongside Matron.
5. To act as residents’ advocate at all times and be accountable to nursing practice policies at The Dower House.
6. Ensure resident confidentiality in line with policies and procedures.
7. To anticipate and respond to any needs presented by residents or their relatives and refer these to the
appropriate member of staff.
8. As Infection Control Lead, be responsible for the implementation of infection control in line with The Dower House policies and assist in ensuring that high standards of hygiene are
enforced at all times.
9. Liaise with other Healthcare Professionals with regards to the health and needs of residents.
10. Assist with admission of new residents at The Dower House, whether for short stays or permanent stays.
11. On a monthly basis, oversee the auditing of various nursing records, ensuring findings are documented and assist Matron to act on any
1. Assist with the teaching and induction of new members of staff as needed.
2. Work with Matron to arrange regular RGN meetings so that strong communication and continuity of care are achieved within the Nursing Department.
3. To maintain individual and professional development and keep abreast of current clinical practice and developments in the clinical care area.
4. Participate in training as required.
1. Report all incidents or accidents to Matron or General Manager both verbally and by written report ensuring
follow up action is implemented when needed.
2. Ensure staff deliver holistic care, which is person centered, evidenced based and in line with their personal needs.
Through leadership by example, be a visible presence on the floor working alongside the care and nursing staff to meet the needs of our residents.
3. Maintain an efficient use of supplies and encourage good housekeeping principles to ensure a maximum cost-effective usage of
4. Ensure that all equipment is in good working order and report any problems to Matron or General Manager.
5. Ensure that Health & Safety policies and procedures are adhered to in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act.
6. Ensure GDPR , cyber security and privacy policies are adhered to by all staff
7. Ensure clinical waste is disposed of in the correct manner.
These are the normal duties, which The Dower House requires from the position. However, it is necessary
for all staff to be flexible and all employees will be required from time to time to perform other duties as may
be required by The Dower House for the efficient running of the Home. This Job Description is non-contractual
it will be reviewed from time to time and may be subject to change.
It is a condition of service that all information obtained during the course of employment, especially with regard to
residents’ affairs, is treated in the strictest confidence. All staff are expected to respect the requirements of the Data
Protection Act 2018.
Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults:
To ensure that your practice and that of others meets with the requirements of the Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults (SOVA) regulations.
Reporting any concerns to the General Manager. Undertaking training and revision exercises as directed.
To implement the Equal Opportunities policy into your daily activities wherever possible.
To be responsible for implementing and following infection control procedures in the Home.
To apply you can send your CV and a covering email to: email@example.com or call us on 01962 882848 for further information.
Join us for lunch and a tour of the house to experience the welcoming, homely atmosphere. Book a visit now, we’d be delighted to welcome you.